Sunday, April 25, 2010

A healthy lifestyle...do it for yourself!

I heard this rather sad story from a friend.  She has an acquaintance that weighed over 400lbs and was constantly berated by her husband for being so heavy.  She had some type of weight loss surgery (gastric bypass or something similar) and lost a lot of weight.  She then had plastic surgery nips and tucks and now weighs 130lbs and can wear a bikini.  Is her husband happy now?  No!  Now he is upset because she is getting attention from other men.  He, now, constantly berates her for how she dresses and wants her to cover up her new body.  What a jerk.  I really hope that she continues her healthy lifestyle and ignores him.  or leaves him if that is needed.

The moral of the story is that you need to do this for yourself.  You can't rely on positive attention from other people or even the hope that "once I lose weight he/she will love me more or treat me better".  Cause it ain't (necessarily) gonna happen.

I am very lucky to have a large net of supportive family and friends but I, also, have people in my life that are negative and not supportive.  It would be very easy to listen to these negative voices and just give up.  "You are right, I can't do this"  "It's too hard" "I am being too restrictive...it will never work"  IF I was doing it for them.  I'm not.  I am being healthy for me.  I love the way that I feel.  I love being able to run (OK slow jog). and I love just being healthy.

So get out there and move!  Give up something unhealthy in your life.  Start with something small...like soda.  Just give it up cold turkey...you don't need it!  and once you accomplish that you will see that you can do anything.  You can choose to not have dessert.  You can choose to not eat crappy fast food.  It's not worth it!  But you are...you are worth the little bit of extra effort it takes to eat and move in a healthy way.  You will love yourself and the good people in your life will love you still.

Don't wait for Monday to start a "diet".  Just go for a walk today.  Eat healthy today.  Don't wait.

I know that you can do it.  and so do you!

No comments:

Post a Comment