Saturday, June 5, 2010

My First 5K!

I did it! I just ran my first 5K!  Well ran may be a little strong.  More like jog.  But I didn't walk!  My goal was to just finish...and not be last.  But then I started running...and just kept running some more.  I was telling myself...I don't want to tell people that I ran part of a 5K...so I need to stop running at a marker.  I came to the 1/2 mile mark...and that was too soon.  So I decided to run to the turn-around..1/2 way.  Then I could say I ran 1/2 of a 5K.  but then I ran around the cones and kept going.  One more song on the iPod.  To that next street.  I even looked at the cross streets and thought "If I stop here...I can drive back with the car later and mile mark it"  but by the time I thought that...I was still running.  Then I made a friend.  We decided that we could Both make it!  Sometimes she ran in front of me...and sometimes I ran in front of her.  and we both made it!

I almost cried when I crossed the finish line.  6 months ago I was happy on days when I walked 2 miles, and that would wear me out.  Today I ran.  I ran a 5K!

If I can do it...so can you!!!

Love, Laura

this is the race...
See Jane Run 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Laura!!!! WAY TO GO! I'm really proud of you and all your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica! and to think...our 2 mile walk used to wear me out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Laura. Isn't this the best feeling in the world? Now, aren't you going to ante this up to 10K in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, Ted! Wharf-to-Wharf in July - a fun, slow 6 mile. and a 10K in October!

    ReplyDelete