Sunday, June 13, 2010

Staying Healthy While Working Full-time

I started a full-time job on June 1st.  Not only am I working from 8am until 5pm but I am commuting "over-the-hill" to Santa Cruz.  I leave the house at 7am and get home at 6pm.  Monday through Friday.

This is a big change for me and I really had to be creative to keep my work-out routine going.

Exercise

I was right in the middle of a bootcamp session,  Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5:30am until 6:30am, and I didn't want to stop going.  I wake up at 4am and do things around the house, pick an outfit, make my lunch and made sure that everything is ready to go.  Leave bootcamp 10 minutes early...arrive home at 6:30am and am on 85 showered, dressed and with 7-11 coffee in hand by 6:55am.  That is fast!  .  Is it a little crazy between 6:30 and 7am?  yes, but so worth it!  I love my bootcamp class and don't ever want to give it up.

On Tuesday and Thursday I try to go to the gym at 5am, workout until 6am and start over.  I have to admit that I took a couple of those mornings off.  I have been pretty exhausted.

The good news is that I found a great walking path at work.  I am able to get in a 2 mile walk (with hills!) at lunch...every day.

Bootcamp is officially over until August 1st  (our coach has summer commitments)  BUT a group of us have committed to meeting at a local park every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (same time!) Our wonderful coach (thank you, Lisa!) is giving us exercise plans.  I am very, very happy to keep up this M, W, F morning routine.  I do start to fade at about 3pm and have to take a little walk outside and drink a lot of water.  I am trying to stay with my one cup of caffeine a day.  Which leads me to...

Nutrition

I am using the fact that I work in an office that does not have any easily accessible food to bring only healthy options every day.  I have found (by trial and error - coming home really hungry) that it is best if I eat 3 snacks while at work and include a protein.  So around 10am I have something like carrots and hummus, 12:30 or 1pm I will have something like salad or veggie soup and then about 3; apple and nuts.  I get home from work at about 6pm and Patrick and the girls usually have dinner ready (awesome of them!)

Going forward

I am starting to train for a 10K - that means I have to fit running into my schedule.  My plan is to run at 5:30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays and for a longer period one of the weekend days.  I am looking forward to running in my new shoes!!  yay!

About my shoes!

For the first time, I went to a real running store and was fitted for real running shoes! I have walked (and run) miles and miles in my old shoes and it was past time.  Running Revolution in Campbell was recommended to me months ago but I had been procrastinating.  Part of the reason was money (of course) but the main reason is that I was intimidated to go into a "runner's store".  A store where everyone is super-fit and would wonder why I was there.  I finally could not stand my old shoes another day and went to the store.  It was wonderful.  I was greeted as soon as I entered and received excellent service.  I stood on some kind of device that measured my arch height, shoe size and how I stood.  Then I was fitted with shoes with no support and was video taped running on a treadmill.  I set my own pace (12:20) and the sales person said "That is my pace, too.  We could run together!"  umm..yeah probably her pace when she does Iron Man...but it was nice of her to say. :)  I found out that I am neutral..I don't tilt! :)  I was fitted with several different shoes and each time would take a little jog outside.  Yes, they have you actually run outside in the shoes.  When I tried on MY shoes...I knew.  Immediately.  They are perfect.  They put a bounce in my step and I am going to hate taking them off.  I may petition a dress-code change at work.  Business casual and super-cool running shoes OK! 

So the point of this loquacious post?
You can work full-time (or fill-in with whatever excuse you have) and still exercise and eat right.  Remember, if I can do...you can do it!
and get thee to a running shoe store...if you are local...go here


Thanks for reading!

Love, Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment