Monday, March 29, 2010

What I eat...

A few people have asked me what diet I am following, do I count points, do I count calories?  Just what in the heck do you eat?

So I thought that I would write a quick blog.  I wish that I had a better report.  If you want to see really healthy eating read my sister's blog.  But here is my typical day. 

First - I use a site called www.sparkpeople.com to track my calories and exercise.  If you join look for me
laurajg1 and we can connect.


Breakfast - a small bowl of Kashi GoLean. (for the protein and the fiber)  I don't measure.  I should, I know..but I just use a really small bowl.  and skim milk.  If I wake up early enough I eat before the gym so that is about 4am.  If not, I eat after at about 7am.  I, also drink a large glass of water and take a Glucosamine pill.  Sometimes I don't feel like cereal so I just have a banana.

Treat - I walk to the store and buy 1 cup of coffee with vanilla flavored no-fat cream.  This is my sugar for the day and I love it!  The first sip of that coffee is better than sex. no lie. This is at about 8am.
 
Snacks - I eat cheese sticks.  (I know..so high in fat.  But I don't eat meat and need the protein.) or carrots or both. this is about 10am.

Lunch - sometimes homemade veggie soup. sometimes (I admit) salt-free chips and homemade salsa. (YUM!) sometimes salad.  sometimes leftover whatever was for dinner.  sometimes just cheese if I didn't have it for snack.

Dinner - this is tricky because no one in my house eats the same thing.  Patrick eats meat, none of the rest of us do.  I will eat any kind of funky vegetarian thing and any kind of veggie.  The kids will not.  Mekiah and Morgan like tofu..Madeline doesn't.

I have cut WAY back on carbs but we make pasta a lot.  and lasagna.  Neither of which I will eat...so I eat salad.  lots of salad.  My favorite is Mexican salad.  with brown rice, black bean and (yes) chips.  Sometimes (tonight) I just eat carrots.  I would really love to be eating more fun veg dishes but it's exhausting to think about making something that no one else will eat.  That's bad.  I should be making those dishes for myself.

Another favorite is roast veggies!  Love this!  I try all kinds of veggies and different fresh herbs.  Protein is a problem.  I don't want to eat cheese as much as I do but I don't like peanut butter.  It's on my list to research recipes and options for protein.

I am so jealous of my sister!  Her wife has been researching nutrition and making all kinds of great recipes.  I may move to the Virgin Islands and live with them!

So in general.  I have cut out all sweets.  Not even one GS cookie.  have cut way back on carbs.  No bread. and I have cut portions way down.

I drink water all day.  Nothing but water.  No diet coke.  (I miss you diet coke!)

and I take a multitude of vitamins.

BUT...if I have the opportunity to eat really good bread...I will.  I am just not going to waste calories on something that is not really really good.  I have also cut out alcohol for the same reason.  Too many calories and not worth 60 minutes on the treadmill.

Tomorrow I will post what I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment