Thursday, March 4, 2010

I've Lost Mekiah!

I wasn't going to post anything about weight loss...until I had a nice round number again.  Like 50!  But the other day I realized that I was 3 pounds away from 50!  47 pounds!  I told Patrick and Brian (one of my very BFFs!) about the loss and Brian asked "Hey, how much does Mekiah weigh?"  I wasn't sure so I stuck her on the scale later that day.  47.5!  ha!  So I have lost Mekiah!  She thought that was very funny.  It makes me very happy.

I haven't blogged for days!  I have an excuse.  We started homeschooling the 2 youngest kids.  We were just not busy enough and so thought "Hey let's start homeschooling!"  Should I write about it here?  Do you want to know more?  I guess that it would help give me content.  It's bumpy but we are figuring it out.  Madeline is doing a lot of reading...which she loves.  Mekiah is doing a lot of math, art and story writing.  We went on a field trip today...tour of city hall.  The Mayor's policy analyst gave the private tour.  It was very nice.  I'll have to think about how much to include about this subject in later blogs.

I am still able to exercise.  I go very early.  I am still going to the gym every other day.  and running at the track every other day.  On Sunday my hip started hurting after my run.  Such a bummer!  I like to walk fast and this having a hip like an old lady is not cutting it!  I actually skipped my run this AM  (sadly!!) and did not go to the gym.  First time since December.  But was able to get a quick 2 mile walk in between dinner and Girl Scouts.  and I could walk!  For 1.5 miles - I walked fast!  yay!  and then hit the last 1/2 mile and OW!  not sure what happened....the hip just woke up, I guess.  So now I am back to limping around.  I will not give up the gym tomorrow.  I wonder if I should try biking for a day?  Steps make it worse.  Patrick wants me to take tomorrow off...he is worried about me having an injury.  I am worried that I will wake up in 2 days 50 pounds heavier.  No..I will not stop.

Last night I made roasted veggies for dinner.  It was great.  Here is the "recipe".  Quotes because I do not really follow one.  I don't really measure.  Just guestimate.  It works for me!

OVEN - ROASTED VEGETABLES 
1 lb. new potatoes
1 lb. yams
3 lg. carrots
2 med. onions
1 lg. green pepper
1 med. red pepper
1 bunch radishes
2 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Peel yams, cut into 1 inch pieces. Cut carrots into 1 inch pieces. Cut onions into 1/2 inch wedges. Cut peppers into 1 inch pieces. Trim ends from radishes. In roasting pan, toss vegetables with oil and herbs. Roast 1 hour until tender, stirring occasionally.
and this is what I did.  I used white potatoes, sweet potatoes, real carrots, asparagus, red onion, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms and zucchini. I cut everything into chunks.  Except the potatoes...I sliced those.   I par-boiled the potatoes and the carrots.  I spread the potatoes on a cookie sheet (with sides) and sprinkled with Italian seasoning and garlic.  I drizzled olive oil.  I then added a few branches of fresh Rosemary.

I put the rest of the veggies in a roasting pan and did the same thing. (oil, seasoning and rosemary)

I put them both in the oven for about 45 minutes.  

What I would change for next time.
Not use as many veggies.  Quantity-wise.  There was a lot. (but we did only end up with 1 medium container of leftovers)  I would add yellow squash.  Morgan commented that every color was represented...except yellow.  and I would skip the Rosemary!  Now...I did use WAY too much.  In fact, I pulled it all off after about 15 minutes in the oven.  (my eyes were burning!)  but I really do not think that it adds anything.  at least not anything good.  I would love ideas of other fresh herbs to use.

i have photos of the veggies...will add later!

and now it's 11pm and I get up at 4am tomorrow.  Gym should be fun.  :)  Going to download some new music for the iPod.  Looking forward to it!

Thanks for reading!
Laura

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! It's hard to make yourself skip a day of exercise, because you are afraid you might backslide from all of the progress you've made! I hear you. I'm going to try that veggie thing.

    ReplyDelete