Saturday, February 13, 2010

An epic title for today's blog that I forgot...

I think about my blog while on the treadmill.  (I have to do something for that 60 minutes!) and I try to text ideas to myself so that I don't forget them.  Today I thought of a title that was so great I knew that I would not forget it.

I did.  I am not ready for these senior moments.

Yesterday I said that I would tell you more about what I am doing.  It's simple really...I am walking.  A lot.  I have been tracking since December 17th and have walked 300 miles.  I walk every chance I get.  With anyone that will walk with me!  Thanks Vicky, Ryan, Janelle and of course, Patrick! (and Snickers!)

I started being happy with a little 2 mile loop.  and trying to get 10,000 steps  (I use this!! Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer) and now I am doing about 7 - 10 miles/day and over 20,000 steps.

To track calories and mileage I use a wonderful site called Sparkpeople.  It's completely free!
www.sparkpeople.com  You can get meal and exercise plans but I just use it for the tracking and for the community.  If you decide to join link up with me, my user name is laurajg1.
If there is any interest I will publish my tracking calender.  I love to see how many fitness minutes I have logged.

I, also, joined a gym and go everyday.  I walk for 60 minutes on a hilly treadmill.  Level 10 hills at 3.3 mileage.  I was walking at level 14 and 3.5 but my heartrate was going to 185.  I read that it is counter-productive to have it at that high...if anyone knows more about this I would love to hear it!

I do a circuit of weight machines every other day.  I use relatively low weights but do 3 sets of 20 reps each.

As for diet...I am not following any plan or program and I am not taking pills.  I just eat less.  I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (love Farmers Markets) and I limit carbs.  I have pretty much cut out sweets other than flavored cream in my coffee. (one a day that I enjoy so so so much!)...I do have a tortilla chip issue...more about that in the next blog!

Finally - I have to give a shout out to my sister, Beth!  I joined a group on Facebook called Couch2 5K as I am thinking about a 1/2 marathon.  Well, my sister not only joined the group but she started doing the program!  Now she is inspiring me!  So I am going out today to get my Valentine's Day present. (sports bras! - I can't beleive that I said that on here) and I will start the program tomorrow.  Wish me luck - I am Not a runner - I am a fast walker.  But I will do it!

Thanks for reading!
Laura

Going to the gym is not glamorous.  No makeup, wonky hair!.  





No comments:

Post a Comment